Sunday 5 June 2011

Background

So, at the ripe age of 16 I joined the ranks of those who are employed and pay tax. Thus allowing me to grumble and moan over anything to do with the NHS and the blatant wasting of benefits in some cases. I became a checkout girl of a well known supermarket. I was excited, happy with the warm glow of 'success' - £250 a month is not to be sniffed at for 32 hours a month.

I made it through the torturous group interview, where when asked to describe myself and an interesting fact it was 'look at the pretzel trick I can do with my arms' that fell out my mouth. And when I some how passed that one, despite being the only person in the room who wasn't in a suit - opting for a see through blouse and kharki chinos. I somehow managed to get another one, and then I was hired! Though I didn't get the job on the cake counter.. I ended stuck behind that monitor, constricted by a conveyor belt which just doesn't move and a cash draw which attacks me, on a chair which causes nothing but pain for my back whilst my feet swing helplessly off the floor.

And then, it got boring. I suspect many jobs get boring once the rose tinted glasses come off and you realise you're just faced with serving the general annoying public. Quite frankly - its bollocks. You may find the thought of this blog as mundane as I do - sitting on your arse for 8 hours each Saturday asking 'would you like cash back?' or 'do you have enough bags there?' with that forced and insincere smile isn't as fun as it sounds. Sometimes I do believe being a call girl would be more interesting, fulfilling and satisfying (because who doesn't like sex?) than being a checkout girl. But I'm not a call girl (sadly) and this is just a story of how I scan items for a living.

There are a few general things I have noticed in my month of being employed:





  1. Why do people act like they've just left a baby in a burning building when they realise they've left their 'bags for life' in the car - or worse! At home!


  2. The most common answer to 'doing anything nice this weekend?' is gardening.


  3. People always whisper 'no' to the question 'do you want cash back?' - why? Who cares?


  4. Everyone assumes that the girl behind the till is thick.


Watch this space - I have so many stories about people I've seen and met. Somethings to come:





  1. The woman I made cry,


  2. The fat woman and her jeggings,


  3. The man who stroked me,


  4. The American,


  5. The Dragons,


  6. And the politics of the changing room.


1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on entering the work force, although"forced-to-work" might better describe it.

    The next rung on the "pulling yourself up to independence" ladder is "accumulating debt you won't be able to pay back" where your status will be upgraded to wage slave.

    Maybe I am hitting the coffee to hard this am.

    The big perk of this stage is you have now earned the privilege of telling people in school that they don't know how good they have it.

    ReplyDelete