Sunday 5 June 2011

Tears

Being new to the working world, I've made a few mistakes. Many of which I have made since, and will probably continue to make until they fire me.

A woman was dressed in a black suit, with a black blouse, and a black hat. Really going to town on the whole 'black is back' theme. So as I beeped through here items: tissues, chocolate, and fuck loads of flowers, I decided I ought to make some polite conversation because my supervisor was glaring at me. First thing that comes to mind? 'Ohh these flowers a just lovely! Who are they for?'. I then notice the black clothing, and it slowly dawns on me - she's not exactly attending a wedding now. She mumbles some reply along the lines of 'a close friend of mine' into her handbag as she searches for her tissues. So I felt bad for a while, and then realised that if they were such a special friend then supermarket flowers aren't going to do them any justice and she should have gone to a flouriest who are trained to deal with such issues as 'death'. Whereas me, little checkout girl, is trained in the art of inane conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment